Blue Meadows doings Dec 11, 2016 19:51:00 GMT -5 via mobile
Post by William on Dec 11, 2016 19:51:00 GMT -5
I thought I would start my own thread here and I thought I might start out by posting about how in 2016 I grew one of the least productive gardens I've had in a very long time. It started out with a time crunch. I don't get to garden every year because of work. The last full garden was 2012. Things didn't work out at a job in Southern California and pulling something good from a bad situation it seemed like there was time to put in a garden. My way to do this at the last minute in the past has been glyphosate the generic cousin of roundup. My mother and my wife were very against the glyphosate application this time around. So I skipped it and came up with a different plan. I rototilled the 1/10 acre fenced garden area but as it hadn't been used since 2012 there was a considerable sod. Interestingly there was also four surviving vegetables I had planted. Lancer parsnips, purple top turnips, Siberian kale, and daikon radishes. So with the rototilling done I decided to reprise some old techniques. I have been buying sand for years from the same farmer I bought my gardening acreage from. So I called him and had him bring two dump truck loads about 20 yards. I then called one of the local small sawmills and got a load if sawdust. I knew the grass was going to be an ongoing problem so I decided to buy paper mulch and bury it. I wish now I had just dug what I could with a shovel! Anyway I laid out all the paper and while I had intended to put the sawdust only in the paths it was easier to shift than sand and came in handy for holding down the paper... So I got the sand down I got everything planted and then pretty quick everything turned yellow. I then corrected with some organic fertilizers but the damage had been done and growth was slowed down! I also started some tomatoes way later than I should have and added those to the mix. Finally the grasses made it's way up through the paper barrier but the vegetable roots did not. Then it was a very cold summer an things grew poorly for that reason saw well. Quite the disaster really. However many of my varieties still produced and I was able to save lots of seed from quite a lot of very well adapted plants. I also attempted to grow well over 100 different varieties of a large number of diverse species. So what it was really was an extremely good trial year.